Hugh Shields Award for Chapter Excellence
The Hugh Shields Award for Chapter Excellence was established in 1965. It is named for the late Hugh Shields (Indiana University, 1926), the first executive vice president of the Fraternity. The award recognizes overall excellence in a chapter and is presented to the top 10 chapters in the Fraternity.* Chapters are honored with a gavel and a Hugh Shields flag.
The 2018 Hugh Shields recipients (years awarded including this year in parentheses)
- Alpha Chapter, Allegheny College (17)
- Beta Theta Chapter, The University of the South (3)
- Delta Gamma Chapter, University of South Dakota (13)
- Epsilon Iota-B Chapter, Kettering University (11)
- Epsilon Phi Chapter, Southeastern Louisiana University (19)
- Epsilon Zeta Chapter, Sam Houston State University (2)
- Gamma Kappa Chapter, University of Missouri (6)
- Iota Epsilon Chapter, Chapman University (11)
- Iota Psi Chapter, Northeastern University (4)
- Iota Sigma Chapter, North Dakota State University (1)
- Omicron Chapter, University of Iowa (4)
*11 recipients named for 2018
In addition to the Hugh Shields Awards, 19 chapters received a Court of Honor Award.