Easy IRA Gifts
A Qualified Charitable Distribution makes it easy for donors to minimize the tax bite of the required minimum distribution associated with IRAs.
The tax-free IRA-to-charity transfer is an important opportunity for donors who:
• Plan to make charitable donations
• Don't need the money they must withdraw as required minimum distributions (RMDs)
• Want to support our mission
Qualified Charitable Distribution Requirements
The tax benefits associated with Qualified Charitable Distributions from IRAs directly to charity are subject to precise and specific requirements:
• a minimum age—the donor must be at least 70½
• a maximum amount—no more than $100,000 per year
• a qualified public charity—no gifts to private foundations, or to set up donor-advised funds or split-interest charitable trusts
• a direct transfer—money must be moved directly from the IRA account to the charity
Satisfy Required Minimum Distributions
Qualified Charitable Distributions can be used to satisfy all or part of a donor’s required minimum distribution (up to $100,000). This makes them particularly attractive to donors who are still working, have sufficient retirement assets, or, in general, find themselves in a higher tax bracket.